Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Podcasting Gap

After our first "podcasting" class last week and talking to Lucia, I realized how easy it would be to implement podcasts in my math classroom.  Each year for PreCalc, we have students create something that is not a poster or an "ordinary" slide show.  The students have been really creative with this, but I have yet to receive a podcast.  I asked two of my classes about their experiences with podcasts, expecting them to give me the same look they give when I ask how the homework was ("What homework?!") but they all just nodded, told me they have done them before, and it did not phase them.  I was shocked!  They have been using podcasts for years apparently, which I had no idea.  I was talking to another teacher about this, and she observed the same thing with her younger sister, who was using podcasts in class for the last several years for projects.  We decided this was another generation gap that we missed out on, and hence the title of this blog.  I am looking forward to trying out this new tool in my classes!

1 comment:

  1. The students always surprise us! They are our teachers in more ways than one. I also know that for math "podcasting" is not the best given that it is just audio. Vodcasts (I guess) or screencasting seems to be much more effective. I have asked my kids about their preferences - Youtube with a teacher, or Youtube with a whiteboard or screen. Most find the teacher a distraction and just want to see the work on the screen. However, if you really want an authentic problem ... go to video. A picture is worth a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete