Monday, February 3, 2014

Hi all!

My name is Maura and I am a math teacher.  I grew up in Buffalo, NY and still visit often.  I went to John Carroll University in Cleveland Heights, OH for my undergraduate degree, where I majored in secondary education and math.  During my year of student teaching at Cleveland Heights HS, I grew to love those students enough to take a position teaching and coaching lacrosse as soon as I graduated in 2009.  I was at Cleveland Heights for another two years until I decided to move somewhere a little warmer in 2011.  I have been at West Potomac HS in FCPS since then, and I currently teach Algebra 1 and Pre-Calculus.

I love being in the classroom but I cannot stand the nonsense that comes with teaching outside of that.  I care about my students feeling cared for, and knowing that their efforts and their learning are important.  I think that teaching is a teeter totter in every sense of the job.  Some days you are appreciated, others you feel stomped on.  At times you feel on top of the world, and there are those moments you feel defeated.  I care about teaching being a job that everyone understands and prioritizes, as it is something we all need and participate in.  I feel we need to share with others all of our joys of teaching so we can recruit top teachers and strong supporters.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you and support you. I am so glad to have experienced ITS with you. I hope that it is the beginning of a long friendship and collaboration!!

    ReplyDelete